Skip to main content

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with.

Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M":

1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that old). I love my mother. She really is perhaps the hardest working woman I will ever know, and yet she is so selfless when it comes to the needs of her children. From my first day born, she's been my mentor, and my friend. I treasure my mother as a gem, and lets face it, one of things I miss most about not living in California while I'm away at school is having to be so far away from my family, and not getting to spend all the quailty time I spend with my mother. Sure, she can drive me crazy from time to time, but every minute is a blast of entertainment with her. As I get older, she become more and more precious and sacred in my heart. I love hearing her stories, and her memories of me growing up. I'm always laughing with my mother talking about the crazy, sweet, and silly things I did as a child growing up, and how far I've come, and where I'm going with my life. We'll sit on the couch and watch some of our favorite T.V. shows together. She is one of the most tender hearted loving ladies I will ever know...my mother, Eloisa Bendezu Velez, the woman who brought me into this earth, and the one who gave me my special name. I have the most special love for her, one that cannot be fully described in words, but only felt by the heart.



2. Music. Obviously, my number 2 was going to be music. As a dance major, and growing up, I have always been exposed to the arts. I love to dance, and in dance we use all kinds of music. I learned to tolerate and explore all genres of music, and I love finding new songs that inspire me, or that put me in good spirits, or finding songs that I could use for choreography or in my classes. I also grew up singing in choirs, performing in musical theater, with basic training in both piano and guitar. As you can see, music truly is a part of life. I love my i-pod and it gets me through some of my hardest hours of life. Music truly can improve my mood instantaneously! The healing power of music is amazing! Some shout outs to some of my favorite music groups and singers that are classified as "M" appropriate artists are Mana, Melanie C, MIKA, & Jason Mraz.




3. Modern dance. Chello?!?!? I'm a dance major emphasizing in modern! How could I do this and not do a shout out to my dance lifestyle! Modern dance is truly a unique and special genre of dance, teaching me life values like nothing else ever has. Modern dance adds so many layers to the study of dance, it really trains and challenges the mind, body, and spirit of a person. I think the most valuable experience I have gained from modern, is learning to have to core connectivity to my movement. I've learned more about how my emotional core, and my internal human anatomical core work together. I've learned so much of who I really am through modern dance, and regardless of the blood, sweat, and tears of dance, I would never trade my studies at BYU in Dance for anything in the world. Shout out to Martha Graham of course, a modern dance pioneer who represents the "M" world of course, and my mentor and company director throughout my college dance studies, Mrs. Marylin Barrett, who is like my dance mother!


4.Make up. Don't leave home without it! Haha! Well, actually, as I get older, I actually find myself more comfortable with my own skin and don't feel like I always have to wear make up anymore. Infact, you probably would never believe me if I told you that I was a bit of a tomboy growing up. Out of all my friends, I was probably the last one in my social group to wear make up. I think I got into it, when I got old enough to start doing my own make up in my dance recitals. I figured I could do a better job than my mom, after watching some of the older girls do their make up. So that's when I began to experiment and play with make up. I looked at magazines and fasion, and when I found a look that I liked I kept it. I love playing with colors and styles, and I just love being a girly girl and beautifying myself. Infact, when I'm bored at the AMP call center, I just pull out my handy bag of make up and start doing my makeup for the day...even if it means I'm putting on make up in the late evenning. It's a hobby, a fun past time thing to do...I mean, you never know who you're going to run into at any hour. You know? My favorite make up essentials would have to be cover up, and eye liner. Yup yep!


5. Movies. Ok, so when I'm not doing what I'm obligated and committed to doing (school, work, church, dance...), I'm probably at home either sleeping or watching a movie. And when I have the time, I'm just begging anyone to go with me to either the real or the cheapo dollar theater. I just love movies, old ones, new ones, classic ones, the ones that I never got around to seeing. I try diversify and culture myself in the many different genres of movies. It's grade A entertainment! Shout out to one of my favorite actors Morgan Freeman, one of my favorite directors M. Night Shyamalan, quite possibly and shamefully my favorite TV channel MTV, and one of my newest favorite movies "Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium!" All appropriately "M"-tastic!


6. Musicals. Close to music...and dance...is the fabulous world of triple threats. The singer + dancer + actor, all rolled into one. There's nothing like a good movie, but then again there is nothing like a fabulous musical. Musicals have the most fantastic way of captivating audiences into engaging stories of triumph, tragedy, humor, drama, and life. So inspiring, and touching, and yet, we walk away from just about any and every musical with a more cultured mind, and better appreciation for the arts. It takes talent to sing, or dance, or act, but those who achieve the joy of all three, well, in my mind they will live until the end of their day celebrating the joys of the arts. There's nothing like the magic of performing in a musical, I get an adrenalin rush like nothing else, and I fall in love with the music and stories, and the deeper meaning and moral of it. If you've never been to a live musical, I tell you...you just gotta! You gotta do it...because it'll change you!


7.Mauricio...Moo, Moo Cow, Mo, Morris! Well, how could I post this without acknowledging the natorious MAURICIO! Haha. My brother is just lucky that my special letter was "M". I just could not fill out my favorite things that started with the letter "M" without acknowledging my little big brother. Mauricio, AKA"Moo," is one special lad. Being the one and only boy among my siblings, means that he will give have the special task of carrying on the family name. And even though at time we may quarrel in imature child behavior, at the end of the day, I got his back and he's got mine. "Hey, don't talk about my brother that way...only I can say that!" Haha. And lets face it...I love quoting movies. These are some inside jokes that perhaps only my brother, and maybe my sisters will ever truly understand. "This is hard..." or "Love me love my cat." "Just Jack." "If I could turn back time." "Hey look, I'm Woody! Howdy, howdy, howdy, howdy." "It's the final countdown, da da da dun, da da dun dun dun..." "Illusions, you don't have time for my illusions." Love you Mo, have fun on your 2 year Mission (another "M" word) in McAllen, Texas (a city that starts with the letter "M"). You will be missed, and I make no guarunteed promises that I wont get married until you get back. But since you are pretty confident that will not be an issue, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Heehee!


8. Money/Mall. Haha! Well, who doesn't love money? Money surely doesn't solve all your problems, but it can surely help sometimes. Plus, sometimes it can make you feel better. Hah! Can I recommend a movie to anyone??? Confessions of a Shopaholic!!! Amazingly funny movie, watch it, and you will see a small glimpse of what it's like to be addicted to shopping and not realize it. Of course I was never as extreme as the girl in this movie, but sometimes I could relate to her pain. The key is learning to buy less, and shop for less. Budget your money, and shopping on a minimal basis can be healthy. So shout out the glories of having money, and having the opportunity to shop at the malls with that select amount of money.



9. Magic. Ok, well, if you're not a fan of magic and migic tricks, then I can only imagine how boring life would be. I think magic has a wonderful way of making us continue to believe, and have an imagination, and to have hope and curiosity in life. No other place will embark on the Magical adventures like the Magical Kingdom of Disneyland...a place where dreams seem to always come true and we can keep on believing! Mickey will tell you in one of my all time favorite shows, Fantasmic! One of my favorite stops at Disneyland would have to be on Mainstreet, The Magic Shop! We could spend at least an hour at the end of our day at Disneyland just playing in the Magic Shop. So much excitement to figure out the secrets of the art of magic! One of my first memories of my college experience was going to a free magic show on campus, starring "B the Dreamer". I realized that the power a magician can have in putting such a clever act together, and ability of putting smiles on the faces of other people is special. AmAzInG! I always wish I could do cool magic tricks, and maybe one day, I'll be able to spread the joys of magic to others as well...



10. Men. Can't live with them...can't live without them. Even though I tend to live a life without them, at this point. One day I hope to find that man of my dreams that will ask me to marry him for time and all eternity. Just because I'm not at that point of my life to settle down, doesn't mean I can't already have my eye on the prize. Men are such interesting creatures, and I must admit, I don't really have them quite figured out yet. I look forward to what lies ahead for me, and right now the only man in my life...is the little man in my older sister's life. My nephew, Orion!!! Yep, his sweet little man kisses will suffice...for now. :)



A couple extra I just couldn't leave out...

11.Mint Green. I just love the color green, and one of my favorite shades would definitely be the mint green. It's just a happy earthy color reminding me of spring, and my birthday...which is in March...of course. (March actually was one of my favorite "M's" due to the perfect spring temperatures and my birthday, but it just didn't really cut it for my list in the end...but at least you know.)



12.Mark Matthews. OK. So, there's this boy in my ward, who absolutely makes me laugh and I just had to throw out and acknowledge that an "M" list without Mark Matthews is incomplete. Haha! On one of the first occasions of speaking with Mark Matthews I told him, "You know Mark, I'm not attracted to guys like you...you're just not my type." And he will never let this story down for the life of me. Basically, he was asking me what my type of guy I was attracted to, and in a short war I was trying to describe someone completely opposite of him, and then I realized how insulting that must have sounded. Mark Matthews is basically, the jock, super buff, amazing smile, loud mouth, confident almost cocky, former BYU football player sort of guy. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm too good for him, I just find myself more often attracted to skinny, quiet guys, that make me laugh, but where I feel more confident around. It's just great that we can laugh about it now. I think what I find funny about Mark is that I see so much of myself in him, and that's why I understand him. He's just like me, except he's a boy. It's always a blast talking to Mark, but I never picture myself marrying or even just dating someone like him. I definitely know that one day I will look back on this post and laugh about the good old "Mark Matthews." As he says, "The Mark Matthews' flame never dies." LOL! And in my response..."What if the flame never starts?" He's just quite the comedic character I tell ya.

13.Mario Karts. It's just not an "M" party without Mario, or Mario Karts. An all time favorite video game. That'll make me smile forever. I played this game with all my sibblings growing up! We each had our remote control and went at it with Mario Karts for hours! It was intense stuff. The all time family friendly competition of Mario Karts, and the game that will forever live in the hearts of the true Mario generation!



14.M&M's. Gotta love those milk chocolate peanut M&M's and gotta always love those clever M&M commercials growing up. Heehee. They always were a hoot!



15.Mona Lisa. I wouldn't have a name if it wasn't for this famous lady. ;)



And that's my fabulous "M" List!!!

Hope you enjoyed this fabulous journey of me sharing and learnning about my favorite "M's" in life. Keep smiling everyone, and I'll see you on the flip side! Let me know it you'd like a letter yourself! :)

Comments

Amy said…
Geeze! That was way too easy. The funny thing is, I had so many memories with you that came back after reading your blog. I love your mom, too! Remember when we used to play Mall Madness at your house? You got me addicted to Mario Kart, too, even though I could never beat you. Ah, I miss you Gio! We need to hang out the next time we are both in L.A.
Ligia said…
oh, i miss those mario kart days. I wish we could all play a round all together one more time, just like we used to. You, me, mo, and tiff. Remember how poor tiff was always last? Glad you mentioned Martha Graham and Modern dance. Now you need to give me a letter.
Gio said…
Oh Amy! The memories of our fun childhood. Mall Madness was a childhood favorite of mine that I forgot to mention! Next time we're both L.A. we will most definitely hang out. Luvs!

Ligi! Yeah, Mario Kart was a serious occassion. Poor Tiff? What about poor Gio? The time I bruised my butt? Haha. How could I not mention Martha Graham and Modern Dance...I would be a trader to my own kind. ;) Your letter Ligia, with the help of mother...is "C"! Have a ball! :)
Tiffany said…
I personally like #9 myself. Remember how we put on our own rendition of Fantasmic in our our dorm room? "I got the lights Gio, you got everything else."

I want a letter!!!
Gio said…
Tiffany!
Yeah, you got the lights, and I have everything else. I'll do all the characters on my own, all 50 of them!
One day Tiff, you and I will sit down and watch the wonderful show of Fantasmic together. And then you will finally know why it is so special to me. :)
After careful consideration...your letter is "B".
Eloisa said…
We as parents always do our best to give our children the best opportunities of development, what a mother wants is to have children that learn to have joy and are positive to our society. In doing all these of course we do good things and we also make mistakes, but most of all we sacrifice a lot for our offsprings. We are used to have no one recognizing our effort. But when a child comes out and said it the way you did. It is special! You bring tears of joy to my heart. Thank you Giocondita. I love u big. Eloisa

Popular posts from this blog

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations. So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting