Skip to main content

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations.

So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting too.



I wish I could remember everything they said...because it was really all quite funny. We had a list of questions to refer to if we didn't know what to talk about.

Some of the questions were as random as:

What's on your bucket list?
Do you like horses?
Would you rather be the ugliest person on earth, or the dumbest? Why?
What color is your tooth brush?
Paper or plastic?
How many children do you want?
What's your ideal date?

Those are the random ones that stood out to me but I received some even funnier questions that blew me out of the ball park.

Here was the most random one I was asked:

"How long should an engagement period be?"

I could only answer that, "I don't know. It depends on the circumstances. We would have to talk about it and see what feels right for the two of us, and see what was right with the Lord's timing."

Then he responds, "Well, we've already talked about all the important things. How long should we wait?"

Then he states, "A month, a year?"

"I don't know...I mean I would want some time to plan the wedding without it being too stressful or overbearing for either of us. I guess at least a month. I mean, aren't you suppose to send the wedding invitations at least a month in advance? I would say at least a month, so that I can be courteous to friends and family so we can accommodate their schedules."

Then he says "Great. Well for me it would have to be at least 3 months."

I say, "Well, I think 3 months is fine. But like I said it all depends on the situation."

People yell, "Time's up. SWITCH!"

And I just can't help but laugh and scream in my head, at how bizarre that 90 second conversation went. And I move on to the next person. Luckily, I already knew that kid, so it was all cool. But at the same time, not what I expected at all. However, memorable.

That definitely wasn't a winning match. But who am I kidding, I wasn't looking for my match. Besides, the person I had my eye on was too far away from me in the rotation. There was no way I was ever going to make it to him in the circle before the speed dating thing was over. My luck! Right. It wasn't meant to be...I guess.

*sigh

In my opinion, these answers failed to my taste:


Question:"Would you rather date the ugliest person on earth or the dumbest? Why?"

Answer #1:"The dumbest, because then at least then she'd still have good looks and probably be nice to."

With a different person...

Answer #2:"Dumbest, because if she's dumb, at least she wont be mean, and she wont be the ugliest either, so she'll still be pretty.

The dude that answered in Question #2, was sweating bullets when he realized what he said. He starts to say, "Well, I think that's an easier question for girls to answer because I don't think they're as superficial. But a guy wants to be somewhat attracted to the girl..."

To make him feel better...because I know that this guy is really a nice guy I say, "Yeah, I understand. I think as I get older what matters most to me is on the inside. But a part of me still wants to be attracted to the person on the outside, but I just try not to be solely superficial. But no worries, I'm not judging you or anything. I like a guy who wants to look good for his girl, and wants his girl to look good for him too."

Person in charge yells, "Swtich."

I realized throughout the night while answering some of these guy's questions, what really matters to me. It was good to be put on the spot. It's good to hear my thoughts out loud. It helped me analyze my life and perspective a little more. Here are some of my answers:


"...What's on my bucket list? Well, I would have to say I would like to travel the world a bit before I die. I've never been outside the United States."

"One of my dreams was to travel the world and visit all the temples before I die, and take pictures in front of them, because I think they're all so beautiful and special. If I don't see them all, I would definitely like to visit some of the temples on the other side of the world."

"I think I really dream about going to school to get my Masters degree in Dance, because then I would be able to teach dance at the Universities. I have always wanted to do that, or at least prepare myself to do that, so that if I end up in circumstance where I need to work, or in my older age chose to work, I can do something that I love. And I'll be prepared."

"Kids? How many kids do I want. Well, I want as many as I can afford. I think that really is a decision that is made between a husband and wife, and well God too. I think I will have as many kids that both my husband and I agree on, and what we are inspired to have from the Lord."

"My ideal date? Is one that's not awkward. I don't know. It's one that I can sit back, and even it doesn't progress beyond that one date, you can always look back on it and remember that you had a good time. It doesn't have to require a lot of money. I'm really into creativity. Doing creative activities with a person, just about anything..."

"What's been my most awkward date? Haha. Well, I would say when a guy asked me out and he made me pay for my dinner and part of his dinner as well...but you know what, I wont hold that against him. He was an international student, so maybe he doesn't know how we do things here in America when we date. So I try to forgive him and keep that in mind (But I forgot to also say that my date also tried to invite more girls on our date, to come to dinner with us. And after asking me out originally, and receiving my commitment to the date. Then he comes up to me later in the week, and decides that I should be aware that he wants to do a dutch date. Meaning we each pay for ourselves. Then, we end up going with another girl that he invited on our date, and somehow his order of bread ends up on my bill at the end of the night. Oh Liang! I will never forget how awkward that was. That's what I get for being nice to anyone who musters up the courage to take me out on a date)."

"I would rather be the ugliest person on earth, because then I could marry the blind guy who loves me for who I am on the inside."

Anyways, I had a fun night. I recommend the speed dating thing to anyone who is still single. It's one of those things that I think every person should try at least once in their life. It's an experience to be experienced.



And I'll just have to keep hoping that my Mr. Somebody will find me sooner or later.

Comments

Eloisa said…
The Somebody appears in your life when you are so involved in something else that you really enjoy doing, you are so busy doing what you like the most that you look so beautiful and you automatically attrack others not so much for your physical beauty but for your beauty of happiness!!
Amy said…
Amen to your mom! It's when you move on with your life and have already made your goals and plans for what you want to to if it is just you and that's when he'll come. I met Brian the day before I graduated. Myabe that will happen to you. When do you graduate again? Oh and P.S. Guys are so superficial! I had to laugh that the guys all said they'd rather have the dumb pretty girl!
Ligia said…
Honestly, guys really want a smart girl. If Alex had been in that circle, he probably would have said a smart girl. I mean, I'm not that much to look at and he still chose me. :) It had to have been for my intelligence. LOL!
Gio said…
I think it's funny that you guys are trying to sound encouraging to me after this post. There was nothing sad about this post ever. In fact this was one of the funnest post I have ever written. I was pretty much laughing the entire time. I'm not sad at all, that I haven't met the right guy yet. The night was a fun successful night. No complaints here!

Oh and Amy, my answer to you...is soon. I graduate very soon...but at the same time...not soon enough! Haha. But it's fun. I guess I don't really mind being in school. I love dancing! It keeps me going. ;)
Tiffany said…
It's funny that you mention your "Dutch Date." I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago! It makes for a great story, but what a lousy date!!!

Your speed dating stories were really funny! Sounds like an adventure.

I love you! Miss you!
Alex said…
I think that there should be a "speed dating" variant for married people. In this event, you'd go around with your spouse and ask other couples questions like, "So how long is too long to baby sit in one session?"

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility