Skip to main content

The Creative Movement

When I first got a blog, I titled it "...And So She Would Dance..." because my life was all about dancing at the time. Then I found myself out of school, selling security, working all sorts of jobs that weren't very much directly related to the arts or dancing, and felt like some of my identity was gone or lost from me. So I changed the title of my blog again to, "...Dare to Dream Big..." Now I sit here and think, I'm ready for another change. But to what should I change to? I feel like I've been recently going through an enlightenment period, after being in the dark for so long. Back in school again hoping to finish, I'm already living proof that I can live the dream. I think the next phase in my life is going to be "The Creative Movement." This is how I have evolved as a person and how I've changed my view of the "Dancer Me." I don't dance just because it is fulfilling for me, or because it is gratifying to move my body and perform in front of an audience. If I couldn't dance tomorrow, I probably wouldn't die. I just think that without dancing I wouldn't entirely be alive. A huge part of me connects deeply with the elements of the creative process that we study in my dance classes. I love to create, I love to think deeply, and I love to challenge the mind, and in connecting my body to my mind, and my spirit. A nice but smug guy once told me, "I'm studying enginieering. It's useful for everything, and I can find work in that field without any problems. Look around you, it's everywhere! I bet you can't point to one thing in this room that wasn't inspired by an engineer. People will always need engineers. Do you know who the ultimate engineer was? ...God." I don't know why but this flashy comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Was my worth any less because I was a dance major? What point was he trying to get across? Maybe I should have been an engineer. It recently brought me to this new thought. I've always liked to imagine God as a dancer. I don't believe God would have bestowed the gift of dance to me, if he had not been one. God must have also seen some value in the education of dance and the arts because I don't think it would be here today, as a choice of study, had it not had its' purpose. But if I ask people, "Do you know who the ultimate dancer was?" I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be inclined to say God. And if they did, it sounds sort of funny and sacrilegious. Perhaps you should look at dance from a different scope. Dance, particularly at BYU, puts great emphasis in the creative process for a dance major. So I spend most of my time in class thinking creatively. I love the creative process, I love creating movement, and creating meaning with my body. So I ask, "Do you know who the ultimate Creator was?...God." Haha. Funny, isn't it. I've always been asked in a high pitched questionable voice from practical people of the world, "What are you going to do with dance? Teach?" Or perhaps they say, "Dance, how fun!" in a way that means, it's a fun thing to do, but is it really worth the time and money in school to just have "fun" and not get "a real" degree? I told my father one day in a delightful conversation at the diningroom table. "Honestly dad, I don't know how much dancing is really going to help me in this life. But I do know how it will apply in the next life. If my goal is become like my Father in Heaven, then why not strive to be a creator. I love creating. I love creating and seeking God's direction and inspiration. I see so much beauty in The Creation, and know this is what I'm studying. I'm studying how to manifest in this life that God the Eternal Father is real. The greatest skill I take from dance is not how many turns I can do, or how high I can hold my leg up in the air. The greatest skill I will walk away with is how to become more like my Heavenly Father, how to share my testimony of this understanding with the world, and how to be a Creator. And all of these things will manifest themselves in my life, even if I don't "literally" dance.

Comments

Katie said…
i couldn't have said it better myself.
Tiffany said…
Very well put!! What a beautiful creator you are too :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations. So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting