Skip to main content

How to make a modern dancer breathe?

How do you make a modern dancer breathe? That is a very good question. In my modern dance class we are working on a few different concepts, one concept being breath. Breathing is essential to any dancer, athlete, or person for that matter. Ask any runner, or weight lifter. They all know there's a skill to breathing. Our bodies have this quick impulse of tightening up when we don't breathe, hoping that holding our breath will give us more strength. When holding your breath really just does the opposite, it limits your full range or motion. Without breathing in a dance sequence, the body will naturally tire faster. Have you ever just sat quietly and heard yourself breathe? Breath is what gives life to the body. The chest rises, the chest falls. It is the first thing we do in this life when we come out of our mother's womb, and the last thing we do on this earth before we die. I feel like after many years of dancing at BYU I understand this concept a lot better than when I first started school. But I still often find myself constricting my breaths, and thus, limiting my ability to work with my body. I think it's a psychological problem. As humans, we don't like to hear other people breathe, or hear ourselves breathe. The natural sound our body makes in labored breathing, would make anyone sound like they are out of shape. That's probably why people try to control their breathing when they walk up the BYU stairs. Don't want to sound like a heffer. Haha! I think dancers are scared to breathe, it doesn't seem lady like, or proper to just breathe naturally. Most studio raised dancers have taught themselves to hold their breath until the end of the dance. Today in class, we were dancing this piece over and over until the point where I wanted to pass out. I just did not think I had enough energy in my body to keep moving through the dance repeatedly. Suddenly I heard my own rhythmic breath all alone in the studio. With at least 15 other dancers, doing what I was doing, I never once heard anyone breathe, but from the look on everyones faces we were all ready to collapse. I'm so used to dancing around people who are more advanced than me. I'm not used to initiating concepts such as breath. Ussually, if someone dancing beside me is using breath, I am able to remember and follow their example. It was the most beautiful realization, as I grew tired and weak that breath was my body's last attempt to muster up the strength to move. It made me think of the bigger scope of life...if you're not breathing, you're probably dead. It was like dancing in class with no one beside me. How many dancers are limiting their ability to move, by dancing dead? Dance absolutely has more meaning for me when I remember to just breathe. We cannot even begin to live a rich life of human movement, until we start breathing. Dancing has no life without breath, we remove the fundamental skill of how we exist. The body is designed to inhale, and exhale. Breathing adds to the dynamics of rise and fall when we dance. It's a high and a low, the law of opposition, variation, and dynamics. Simple concept...right? Not really. It's taken me years to remember to breathe naturally in my modern dance classes. Breathing is a skill, a skill that I am confident we can master. Breath can therefore enhance life and the quality of our work. All those famous athletes out there, and mothers who have been through labor, already know this. How do you make modern dancers learn to use breath? Well, you work them out, until they have no choice left...but to breathe.

Comments

Ligia said…
When we hold our breath, we hold back. I agree. Holding our breath is a physical manifestation of our psychological. What are you afraid of? Fear often feeds our instinct to hold back. Let go of the fear, and breathing will come naturally. Take it from a mom who's had labor in a hospital as well as at home. Beautiful post. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

Mice Will Play, a dance dedicated to my beautiful older sister, Ligia.

The beginning of my composition piece. It's always a work in progress. And here is a video at about where I am during midterms (half way through the semester). And playing with music... And a final rough draft... But still not content with the music, and it's still a work in progress. Oh well, time's up. Stay tuned for the final performance! :)

My Great Adventures Moving Out

Moving out can be a very stressful mess. But being the last roommate to move out, can be a person's worst nightmare. Let me see, it started out when I received a letter in the mail on August 4th stating that I needed to be out of the apartment by August 16th, which was a Sunday. Thinking I had plenty of time to move out, I noticed Vanessa moving out early because she was engaged and already moving things into her new house. Low and behold time snuck up on me, and it was became the move out week, unfortunately due to poor planning I had a full week of work scheduled as well. But I figured that I still had the whole weekend to move out. Big mistake! On the morning of August 14th, the Friday before I was suppose to be all moved out, REMS management slaps a note on the front door saying you have to be out by "August 14th," just as I was leaving the apt to go to a full night of work. I laughed...You can't put a note on someones door, and say you must be out by "