Skip to main content

Not ancient, but old...and dealing with the cards laid out in front of me.

So, I'm sitting here at work...thinking...that I can't think of a time, when I'm not thinking...LOL.

But yeah, first, I still have to post all those blogs about all my fun adventures that I've documented on my camera. And I'll try to get to that later today...if not definitely tomorrow.

But on another note, I've been particularly thinking about how I'm getting OLD. Now, I know I'm not OLD as in ANCIENT...but my look is changing. It's interesting how as a little kid you're never really aware of how your physical look is actually evolving and aging and even maturing. But I feel like, when I look in the mirror now, I've seen physical changes in my appearance, that I just don't have any physical control over anymore. No make-up or clothing can change the fact that I have dark baggier undereyes than I did before, or that I'm just an older person now.



And the cruel reality is that I certainly don't feel as pretty as I did last year. Haha. I know that's a weird comment to make, and I bet all my friends and family will remind me how beautiful I am in the present day...blah blah blah. But don't you ever look at certain years and think, "I was a knock out then?" Well, I just don't feel that way these days. I'm not sure I ever felt like I was a knock out, but I feel even less like that this year than others.

Clothes and makeup just don't hide the fact that I'm aging for me, and shoping for makeup or articles of clothing don't brighten my mood up anymore like they used to. It's like I'm actually taking notice of it for once in my life and it's a weird feeling. I feel like the vain side of me is just waking up to realize, I'm nearly 25 years old now, and not even close to getting married, or have ever been close to being in a serious or non serious relationship...I can't help to think, that I might be "an old bride"...and something just sits wrong in my tummy with that idea. That's no fun. And I know I'm talking like an immature little kid right now, which I am on the inside, but I don't want to be that old looking bride on the outside(not saying there is anything wrong with being married when you're older).

And this never concerned me before. When I was little I think I imagined myself be married sometime near the age of 28. But I wasn't thinking then. I didn't know my looks would change. Now...I am willing to wait as long as I need to, as long he is the right one and quite a catch at that! I find myself more often talking to God out loud, as if I am negotiating the terms of me having to wait so long before I am presented with the right guy, in the right scenario, at the right time to be married. As if I even have any rights to negotiate in those terms? LOL. And I have every bit of faith that it will all work out in God's plan and timing, or so I keep reminding myself to re-invest into that faith.

And this is probably aweful to say...but if nobody wants me now, who could possibly want me later. When I stop to think of all the guys my age, or older than me, I'm scared that I'm going to be faced with attending a older singles adult ward, with a bunch of weirdos that "there's a reason why they're not married yet." Or, what if I come faced with having to date divorced people? I don't know...I guess there's a little more doubt in my heart than I am willing to confess and vocalize. Once again not saying that there's anything wrong with divorced people, I just never imagined that for me.

I never imagined myself getting married at 18 years old, infact I mocked people who thought this way...like my old roommate...but she know's I love her. I didn't think it was right to put so much pressure on one's self if they arn't married at 18 or 21 at that matter. It just didn't seem right to think "what's wrong with me," when I very well stood my ground and knew there was nothing wrong with me. I just decided to keep moving forward, preparing myself to mature into adulthood on my own, and learn to love myself and love God first above everything else. My moto, was "If you can't be happy on your own, how can you ever truly learn to be happy with someone else?" It's not about being a feminist, but about dealing with the cards of the deck that are laid out in front of you.

But the thought keeps running across my mind, what if I don't get married until I'm in my 30's!?!?!? Now I know that I will have the opportunity to be married and raise a family while on Earth, and the factors of it not be the right time or the right guy for me yet are reasonably good factors to deal with. I'm not the only one on this boat...I know there are other women out there dealing with this problem as well. But I never imagined I would be an old middle aged bride either. I mean every girl dreams about being a young beautiful bride...right?

My friend, Yoko, and her sister Pilar, were just telling me the other day, that they never hear me talk about boys, and when they do...it's just weird and funny. What's wrong with never letting obsession over guys take control my life? Guys were never obsessed with me, so why would I ever let the agony of them contaminate my mind? Haha. Ok, that's a little over dramatic. But now I'm worried. What if all this time I thought it was out of my control and out of my hands, and yet at the same time, what if I was wrong. Can it be in my hands? Have I done something completely wrong my whole life.

And that people that really love me, will tell me to exercise, and it's just my weight...but if that's what the world is coming to...I'm just so disappointed with people's vainity, and don't want anything to do with that. So, I will just sign out, go home, to curl up into a little ball and continue thinking, how my life ended up where it is today...and deal with my unspoken fear of one day being that OLD BRIDE.

Don't worry I'm not sad...I'm just thinking. ;)
Good night everyone!

Comments

Eloisa said…
Tesoro mio,
Thanks for opening up publicly, it really takes guts to do this. At the same time I feel you are a very strong woman, you have already pass the face of opening up to what you think it is a problem. Oh! Giocondita, your other half is just like you only in the process of getting more mature, to reach that point that will make him see you entirely, not just the outside. Only a mature prince will be able to see this side of you. So he is being prepared specially for you to really see my beautiful child. I had 4 kids. They are all beautiful to me. But I have always said that you are my most beautiful baby and all of your sibblings know this. Please this is not a problem. You will have the blessing of avoiding to experience fisrts hand the maturing of man. Many times it can get so discurriging. But in the mean time while he matures and gets beautiful inside it will reflect his beauty outside at the right time. You do the same thing beautify your inside, your spirit that finally will automatically with very little work will make your outside shine. To me you are the most beautiful Gioconda I have ever met. I love you. I love you. Mommy
Tiffany said…
Snuggles,

I am so sad about this post. I know you are ok and I know you would tell me I am silly to be sad about it, but I am just sad to hear that you think it is possible that something is wrong with you. Nothing is wrong with you! You are wonderful! I agree with your mom-your prince is being prepared! He must be a really special guy...wherever he is!

I love you!

PS, for the record, I didn't get married at 18... I waited a few years... :)
Ligia said…
Well, I was an old 25 year old bride and I still think I'm young. You are not old. You're only as old as you feel. I was talking to Moroni the other day and he asked me a great question: "If you didn't know how old you were, and no one could tell you how old you were, what age would you give yourself based on how you feel?" And it has nothing to do with your looks. Ugly people get married every day. And you are not ugly. You were the most beautiful baby. I must not have stood out as much as you did apparently in the eyes of our mother. That says a lot about the spirit that your body houses. Nourish your spirit with all your might, mind and strength and the clarity that will lead you into the arms of your eternal one will be made known unto you. I testify of that and I know it will happen soon. But hurry up so we can have double date nights together already. :oP
Unknown said…
sigh! i have tons to say about this...and i agree with what your mom, best friend and sis said. you are awesome :) and you need to come over to talk more about it :) where r u!!?!?!?! we miss you

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations. So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting