Skip to main content

My Christmas Realizations 2015

Things that I recognized during Christmas...It's sort of weird how things never always end up like we imagined.  Here I am, 30 years old, single, just graduating with my Bachelors in Dance from BYU...and finally, my whole immediate family has relocated to Utah.  So no more going home to California where I grew up for the first 18 years of my life.  Baby it's cold outside, and I'm dreaming of a white Christmas have now become realities.  

My older sister has 5 children all of whom are just the cutest kids ever.  I currently work with people with disabilities and absolutely love it, I have been doing this work for the the last 5 years of my life, and I don't believe there is any other work I would rather be doing right now.  I mean, I am so grateful to be where I am today, but I am not sure I would have ever guessed that I would get here the way that I did.  

Anyways, here is what I realized over Christmas break that made me smile and feel very blessed indeed:

My father, is still a young kid at heart.  Growing up my father has run into difficulties of a bad heart and his health compromised at a young age.  After a triple-bi-pass, and a few strokes that nearly left him dead, we are very blessed as a family to still have him even if his speech and comprehension have been slightly impaired.  Over Christmas, I realized that I still have the same funny, young loving, dare devil of a  father that I have always cherished.  On December 25th he hiked to the park in the snow with us and not only cheered for us when we went sledding, but he also plopped down on a sled himself to go down the hill.  I noticed my father struggling to breathe on the uphill hikes but took him by the arm for a slow walk back to the house, and let him know I was there and he could lean on me.  This old guy, is the man who has helped me overcome any fears I have ever faced, and taught me to raise me arms way high on the scariest ride, Splash Mountain.  I have to respect my dad because he is not afraid to tackle the cold 15 degree weather outside or colder, and that he still had enacted the adventurous spirit of a child.

Mom, well, she's still the hard working lady that she always has been.  I think watching my mother share a love for her work in healthcare all my life has humbled me to be a great caregiver myself.  In Utah, my mother and I have shared experiences taking care of the same individuals with disabilities.  It is an honor to share memories with the same sweet individuals we serve.  My mother may be a whimp in the cold weather, and she may not enjoy wild sliegh rides in the cold snow, but she has no problem working all Christmas morning with the people who depend on her expertise as a nurse.  Even after a full day of work, my mom is willing to shower my sister's children.  Even in my mother's down time, she never finds a way to stop working.  I think the day that my mom stops working will be the day she retires from this world.  Her philosophy has always been to work hard...and clearly she has never taught me to be lazy.

My sister, Ligia.  Still has the biggest heart and cares deeply for everyone, wanting everybody to feel happy and included.  Ligia graciously offers her house for the holiday family celebrations.  What's amazing is sometimes when I think she has given all that she has, and has every right to be selfish and demand some time off for herself, she offers up her time to do more service and charity for others.  She is soooo gifted in her artistry, I can always count on her to create a clever home made craft, and everything she makes is beautiful and inspiring.  I don't think she even realizes that of all the gifts that people have given me, I think Ligia's gifts have meant the most to me.

Little brother, Mauricio.  My little brother is my comforter and reminder of peace.  This hasn't always been the case growing up, because we had quite the family rivalry and probably some of the most epic childhood fight scenes.  However, I feel like time and maturity has helped up close the gap of our age, and brought us closer together.  Like my brother Mauricio calms me down when I am anxious or upset and reminds me of the things that truly matter.  I think my favorite is that he now serves as the mediator between me and my littlest sister.  The second I say something snarky or sarcastic that has the ability to upset Tiffany, he quickly says, "Gio, do you have to say that?"  When did my brother get so smart and wiser than myself?  He knows I love to the stir the pot, and yet has displayed the ability to ground me to the earth.  He reminds me, to chill out, and not ruin the spirits of others.  It's not that I mean to hurt people, it's just that sometimes I don't censor my words or thoughts prior to speaking them, and my brother gets me back on track to being a peacemaker rather than an instigator.  I am seriously shocked that my stud of a brother is still single, but like my dad said...2016 seems special and it just might be Mauricio's big year!  ;)

Littlest Sister,Tiffany.  Even though she is gullible, and super sensitive, I feel like we had a break through year in our relationship.  In an immature manner, I used to always find myself annoyed by her, and would love to tease her...I know...you're asking, "How old am I?"  Well, after working together and learning to talk and listen to each other this past year, I think Tiffany and I were able to tell each other how we felt, and learned how to become more effective communicators.  On our carpools to and from work, we spent much time talking on how we can work through our issues more and not hurt each other's feelings.  In the end, I think Tiffany and I realized, we were a lot more similar than we thought.  I also believe this is the first year that we ever laughed more than we actually argued!  She realized that I am not the toughest stuff that she perceives me to be.  Under all my sly remarks and quick wit, is a very insecure and fragile person.  And I just wanted Tiffany to stand up for herself and toughen up, and not let the world of people just walk all over her.  I wanted her to know her to value how special she was, and I wanted her to stop questioning herself or her abilities.  I guess, in working with my siblings this past year, I was able to see how hard working both my brother and little sister really were.  This is clearly something we all learned from our parents.  All this time I have just wanted to see Tiffany challenge me, and stand up for herself, and not be bothered by any of my jokes at her, because in truth, anything I ever said negatively to Tiffany was never true.  I don't even understand why I make jokes at her, I guess I can just be a mean bully sometimes and not even realize it.  But in my mistakes, I have also seen how forgiving she is.  I learned this past year that Tiffany is also super caring of others, as well as she values the opinions of others.  She is a people pleaser, and once we realized we were on the same team, we focused on working together rather than against each other.  For example, when I would show up later to work in the afternoons I would find these treats at my desk and realize that Tiffany saved me the morning treats at work.  It wasn't so much the food that made me happy, I think it was just the fact that Tiffany thought about me when I wasn't around that made me happy.  I also mentioned to my siblings that I loved the seasonal lemonade at Thrive Life, and if they ever got their hands on another can, that I would love it!  Well, I guess someone had made a rare return of the lemonade mix, and Tiffany made sure to purchase it and gift it to me for Christmas.  Right when I was about to finish up the last of my favorite drink mix, Tiffany surprised me with one of life's little miracles that makes me a little bit happier.  It touched my heart.

My sister Ligia and brother-in-law Alex make the cutest babies ever!  I have had the honor of watching them all grow up.  Although I have yet to be a mother, I have been honored to see them all grow into beautiful children.  Orion, Chrysalis, and Hinckley have all outgrown the hugging stage in their lives.  One of the blessings of having nieces and nephews is all the free hugs and kisses you get.  But as these kids grow older you realize, that they grow slightly out of this affectionate stage and stop the frequency of these hugs and kisses, then you start to miss these cherished moments.  Right now my little nephew Edi, is the only one that runs to me to let me sweep him up in my arms whenever I ask for a hug, and offers me the cutest and purest kisses a girl could ever ask for.  He just loves to love and be loved.  Awe, how I will miss his endless affection.  Luckily baby Pheonix is the next child, so maybe when Edi becomes less frequent with his hugs, Pheonix will pick up where he left off.  I think what I love most about these kids is their love.  It's the purest of love out there, and I guess it is a blessing to have their love, even if they are not my children, I can appreciate all the light of life that they share with me as their aunt Gio.  They make me glow inside.

I could go on and on.  But seriously, I have a very special family.  I love every single member of this spectacular family that I have and wouldn't trade anyone for anything else in this world.  I am so lucky to be where I am today, and experience all the things I have experienced.  I just love to dance and sharing this passion with my older sister, I love my parents who have helped mold me into the person I am today.  I love that we all are there to help one another when someone is weak or in trial, that we are there to support and take care of the "lost sheep."  I am just so grateful for my family.  Thank you Heavenly Father for my family, I love them ...come what may, and love it!  Here's to another great year in 2016!  ;)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

Mice Will Play, a dance dedicated to my beautiful older sister, Ligia.

The beginning of my composition piece. It's always a work in progress. And here is a video at about where I am during midterms (half way through the semester). And playing with music... And a final rough draft... But still not content with the music, and it's still a work in progress. Oh well, time's up. Stay tuned for the final performance! :)

My Great Adventures Moving Out

Moving out can be a very stressful mess. But being the last roommate to move out, can be a person's worst nightmare. Let me see, it started out when I received a letter in the mail on August 4th stating that I needed to be out of the apartment by August 16th, which was a Sunday. Thinking I had plenty of time to move out, I noticed Vanessa moving out early because she was engaged and already moving things into her new house. Low and behold time snuck up on me, and it was became the move out week, unfortunately due to poor planning I had a full week of work scheduled as well. But I figured that I still had the whole weekend to move out. Big mistake! On the morning of August 14th, the Friday before I was suppose to be all moved out, REMS management slaps a note on the front door saying you have to be out by "August 14th," just as I was leaving the apt to go to a full night of work. I laughed...You can't put a note on someones door, and say you must be out by "