Skip to main content

Doubt and Distractions

Spoke with Haley today...

She told me, "Gio you need to update your blog more."
I respond, "I know."

So here I am. Updating...
I had originally hoped I would have kept a better journal of my summer sales experiences. But I haven't.

But here I go.

I think the most difficult of things that I deal with out here in South Carolina, are two things that begin with the letter D:
1. Doubt
2. Distractions

I realized the other day that my biggest fear of this job is not the fact that I walk through some of the most strange and creepy neighborhoods, but more that I doubt my own abilities. I think my greatest fear is to fail.

I'm too scared to reach the end of the summer and fail at summer sales. I don't want to fail. I really want to reach my goal. I don't want to be in a tough situation where I don't finish my last year of school due to finances, and struggle the way I did last year with my leg injury, and work, and school. It was too overwhelming, I felt trapped and unable to move forward.

I feel like the summer is slowly closing in on me, and that all my hard work is not progressing at the rate I would like. And I'm miserably still trying to figure my way through this sales process. My numbers are inconsistently all over the place. I'm just doubting my abilities, and next to actually sinning, I think doubt can really get into your mind and distract you from reaching your goals.

Distractions are a way that the Adversary will try to attack our spiritual and temporal progress. If I'm doing everything I can in my life to keep all my actions and thoughts centered around the the Lord and the Gospel, then everything should be perfect, right? WRONG!!!

I realized, that if Satan can't seem to make his way into your life through sin, that he will use whatever power he has to tear us down and distract us with other insecurities we may have.

Anything that Satan can use to get me down...my lack of confidence, and twist the key to make it tear me up inside.

He makes me think that none of my life goals are attainable. I will never be pretty enough, I will never marry in the temple, I will never have enough money to finish school, I'll never be able to take care of myself, I'll never have children, I'll never be able to stand on my own two feet. I'll always be alone.

I don't need to be thinking about these sort of things when I'm knocking doors. The job is already taxing enough mentally and spiritually. And the honest truth is that none of these negative thoughts are true.

I found myself wishing that I was 10 years fast forwarded in my life, so that I could finally be settled down and living the life I wish I already had.

We all go through some pretty rough times to get to the times that we enjoy most.

I really miss home, and I guess when I say home...I actually mean Utah because that's where I lived for the past 7 years. But I miss home because I didn't have nearly as much work or responsibility for myself out there, as I do out here in South Carolina.

I was scripture reading from the Book of Mormon, and read over the many chapters where Nephi's older brothers continually doubt in the Lord's inquiries. I'm just as bad as they are, every time I doubt that if I do my part the Lord will do His part. It makes me think of my covenants, and how I must do everything in my power to live up to and keep my covenants for the Lord to be bound to his.

No excuses, it's work hard, trust and put faith in the Lord, and kick all doubt and distractions to the curb.

My cousin told me yesterday to remember to just "Have fun." I realized, "Yes! I need to start having fun again. I need to enjoy myself, and then maybe other folks will get to see the real me, the fun me, that I miss from before the summer started."

I don't think any part of this kind of work is suppose to be fun...but I can be. I'll have to remember that all week on the doors. Relax and have fun. :)

Here's a funny little comic I found on distractions...

Comments

Amy said…
I'm sorry it's been a tough summer. I'm really happy for you that you get to be with Ligia and her family though. That has to help a little. I miss you and am thinking of you and wishing you well as continue your summer selling adventure! Remember not to solely focus on the end goal, just try to enjoy the journey getting there :)
Anna said…
Gio-
I just love you to death. I think that you are so well spoken and that you hit everything you were trying to say dead on. I also think you are absolutely right. I share some of the same fears and struggles when i was knocking and even when i am not. I know you will reach your goal because i know how bad you want it. I have faith in you! As far as your doubts and fears, I wish I could shake you and tell you that you are all of those things that you have doubts that you are not. Stop doubting and things will fall in to place in time.
Thank you for your example. you are a rock!
Ligia said…
I don't know why you doubt so much. I don't know why you get so easily distracted. It must be a Velez thing. Blame it on the genes. I lose it too. And you can see that all too well. Having a husband and two kiddos to take care of doesn't make those doubts and distractions go away. You will get the hang of this even it is at the very end. You've already grown so much whether you can see that or not. Take it from an older sister who is finally trying to act like one.
Eloisa said…
Gigi, I don't think I have ever shared this with any of you. When I was 19, I was an English teacher in Peru and I had several private students that lived in nice areas. But to reach those areas I had to travel by bus throgh some very dangerous areas "La Parada" I was scared to death. I learned to always look at the people in there eyes. Watch out for their body movements! I was never assaulted. I had God in my mind all the time. I was not LDS yet. Please we have so many tools as LDS. One, if you can get the July Ensign, Please read the article "spiritual safety tipps for frequent travelers" by Todd Hansen. What about the book I rescue from the mail box. Have you read it??? What would you say if I tell you that the main reason for me to go to South Caroline was you! I love visiting with Lig. and Alex and Orion and Chrysalis. But I was very worry about you. Please do not give up. Trust The Lord and trust yourself. Love, Mommy.

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations. So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting