Skip to main content

My Great Adventures Moving Out

Moving out can be a very stressful mess. But being the last roommate to move out, can be a person's worst nightmare.

Let me see, it started out when I received a letter in the mail on August 4th stating that I needed to be out of the apartment by August 16th, which was a Sunday. Thinking I had plenty of time to move out, I noticed Vanessa moving out early because she was engaged and already moving things into her new house. Low and behold time snuck up on me, and it was became the move out week, unfortunately due to poor planning I had a full week of work scheduled as well. But I figured that I still had the whole weekend to move out. Big mistake!

On the morning of August 14th, the Friday before I was suppose to be all moved out, REMS management slaps a note on the front door saying you have to be out by "August 14th," just as I was leaving the apt to go to a full night of work. I laughed...You can't put a note on someones door, and say you must be out by "NOW," after sending them a note that says they have until Sunday. RIDICULOUS!

I call them and have a piece of mind. Then they let me know that it's ok, and that they were confused, made a mistake, but the owners were still going to be in town on Saturday to look at the apt and check the condition of it because REMS will no longer be managing it. I was like whatever. In the letter it said the owners would be there sometime between 9am-5pm. So I went to work at AMP for my Friday shift, followed by a graveyard shift at the WILK doing custodial work. I get home sometime around 6:30am, and less than an hour later, I hear a "knock knock" at my door. The owners, a husband and wife, and a male REMS representative, show up for the inspection.

Not only are they there really early, but they just walk in, with me half asleep, and start doing a full on inspection, taking pictures of the entire place, and completely violating my privacy. My clothes are in my room spread out everywhere, with my bras underwear, because I'm not just packing to move out, but I'm also packing to live out of a suitcase for 1-2 weeks of homelessness.

The owner wife is complaining the entire time of the condition of the apt, and how my contract was originally suppose to end on the 14th. Well, that's not my problem that REMS misinformed it's tenants, but I'm holding them to their letter. Then I hear them complain how they are in town for education week and have no where to stay. As if I really care?!?!? I'm about to be homeless in between two housing contracts, welcome to the story of my life...you'll live. I'm just sitting there on the couch hoping for them to leave...and 40 minutes later they do.

With less than 48 hours to move everything out, I get to work on emptying that apt. I skip Saturday night custodial, and pull an all nighter. And on Sunday night when I realized I needed some help Yoko came over to help keep me awake and assist me with my packing.

So...when the owners say everything must be out, they mean everything. The problem is that I trying to salvage whatever I could of my deposit. But that meant I would have to do a good job on my check out. Unfortunately...even today I haven't seen anything of my deposit returned. Oh but don't worry, they'll be hearing from me about this matter.

Anyways it was one crazy weekend, luckily I had a new camera at the time to document my late night hours of moving out, of course with the help of my trusty side-kick, Yoko! :)

Enjoy the footage!



And this about half way through the night when I start to go crazy...



...and crazier...



...and even crazier...



On Monday morning at 7am as I'm finishing up the cleanning in the apt, the owner's daughter shows up at the apartment confused why we're still there. Yoko half asleep on the couch had told me that she was going to tell off the owners if they came back and bothered me. Haha! But the best a half asleep Yoko could say was, "We've been up all night...cleaning for you." So we tell the girl we still have at least one more hour of cleaning, so she annoyingly leaves, and we expect ehr back sometime after 8am. And I'm there thinking we gotta be out before she comes back because I don't want to confront the owners a second time.

So Yoko and I fill up my car to the max, and finish doing the apartment cleaning. We run out of clean rags and paper towels to clean the house. We had resort to using these clean wipes I had. I look at the container, and read, "This product cleans 99.9% of some germs." And at the crazy hour of the morning, I just start laughing about how silly of a product those wipe were to make such a claim that it only will kill certain germs. It's like saying, "60% of the time, it works every time." Name that movie!

Yoko and I, were there cleaning until the moment we saw the owner pull up into the park lot. As they pulled up we ran out of the apartment and jumped into my car and sped off. Then it hits me, that I wanted to grab the snow sled in the shed, and the mail. So I send Yoko on a mission to run to the shed and get my sled, and then I do my own run to get to the mail without getting caught. It was funny and really quite hilarious, and I wish you could have been there to see it!

So, I would like to give a shout out of thanks, to every roommate that ever lived at BDA #17, and never cleaned up after themselves for an official check out, leaving me the most torturous move out of my life. Thank you Vanessa for absolutely nothing. For just packing most of your things and moving out, no clean up, and no removal of old roommate dishes or anything, rather than putting aside some time to help me drop things off at D.I. Thank you Rachael for never cleaning cleaning up after yourself either. You were a great asset to my horrendous adventures of cleaning up the apartment at the end of the summer. Thank you Shilah, for moving in and moving out for summer term, and disappearing in the blink of an eye. I appreciate your non existent help in cleaning up during the move out process, even though you lived there for the shortest amount of time. It was funny to go in your room and see that it was all empty and neither me or Vanessa ever saw you leave. You were like stealth mode. Haha! I would like to add a special thank you to every roommate who lived in the apt before me, that left something behind for me to figure out what to do with it. You made my move-out, a living nightmare. But all in all, a special thanks goes out to Yoko, for saving me, and sharing the special memories we did of moving out of BDA apt #17. I appreciate you for your devoted friendship, and never decidng to ditch me that night!

And if you think that's the end of my story...well, it's not. So after pulling an all nighter Sunday night, we slept through Monday, and woke up in the late afternoon to make a feast for dinner. Oh! I forgot to mention, that Vanessa decided to leave a refrigerator full of food, like 80% of her food, in the fridge was hers, and it was good stuff too. Yoko and I couldn't bear to toss the food out. So we grabbed a garbage bag and filled it up with frozen food and meat, and biscuits, and every yummy thing you can imagine, and had our celebration feast at Yoko's place.

But anyways, Monday night after our feast, Yoko and I had more tasks to attend to. Yoko's family just recently moved from their old housing contract to a new home. However, we still had to go back to the old house, and repaint Yoko's bedroom white again.

Simple task to attend to, right? WRONG! We get to the house...and the chaos...part 2 begins...

Here's quick pics I took outside on the balcony of Yoko's old house. I just love scenery, and I loved my new camera. And in the middle of all this chaos, I needed a moment to salvage any bit of sanity I had left.



I love the pretty texture of the tree in the sunset...



Back to my story...With a paint roller and a small tin of paint only to find out that the power is out, and it's night time, and Yoko's bedroom just happens to be in the basement. So we take on the crazy task of painting Yoko's room downstairs by two candle lights that Yoko's old neighbors lent us. And luckily I had a huge flash light in my car that we used.

Half way through painting, we realized we didn't have enough paint and that we needed more more paint and we needed to purchase some paint brushes also. So late at night we make a run to Home Depot to get the supplies, and completed the job at another insanely early hour of the mornning.

Here are some video's I took while we were on Yoko's wild adventure of what I like to call, "Painting In the Dark." I originally told Yoko, I wouldn't put this video online, but after watching it...I just couldn't stop laughing and couldn't resist. Yoko might kill me later...I hope she'll forgive me.



And here is take two, of "Painting In the Dark!"



It was a crazy weekend, but I'll never forget it...I'll never stop laughing at how crazy we got, and how insane the move out turned out to be. I'll never be ungrateful to have such a special friend in my life to share the experience with...Thanks Yoko for being there for me when no one else could! Haha! I love you!

Comments

Amy said…
Wow. That WAS a crazy move out. I hate when careless management and condo owners make poor college students homeless! Oh, and I believe that if you still have the letters saying when the owners would be coming to the contract and witnesses (other roomies) as to when they actually came, there could be legal consequences. Especially if you want your deposit back. They are legally required to give you an itemized list of what your deposit money is going towards if you did not get a full refund. You should still fight it if you have the paperwork.
Gio said…
Haha! I know. I do...still have that paperwork. I'm going to hunt down the management and speak with them after Christmas break.
Tiffany said…
Oh my gosh, this post made me laugh so hard! Sorry to laugh at your pain and agony, but it was pretty funny how you wrote it. I loved your videos! What a crazy night...Well, crazy nights is more like it!!!
Yoko said…
Gio. I was sitting here laughing my butt off at our videos. I totally forgive you for putting up the video that I swore in! Haha, it was worth it. That weekend was insane. It will go down in history as the most enraging and hilarious weekend we ever spent.

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of My Favorite Things That Start with the Letter "M"

My childhood friend, Amy, posted a blog with ten things that all started with the same letter! Her cousin gave her the letter she used, and then after reading her funny blog entry filled with thing's that started with the letter "K," I asked Amy to give me a letter! She gave me my letter of "M." Being skeptical, I thought this would be hard, but a list of 10 quickly became a list of 21, so I went back, and chose my top ten to share with y'all. And here's what I came up with . Ten Things I Like That Start with the Letter "M": 1. Mother. Well, this was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of the letter "M". The sweet image of my dear mother. If any of you know anything about my mother...you've probably heard me mention how crazy she is! But what I mean by crazy is that I don't know where she gets all her energy from, at the whopping age of 29 years old (Haha! Or so she'll tell you that she's that

The Law of Tithe & Knowing He Is Real

I woke up this morning. Everything was as it should be, life was absolutely perfect with it's imperfections, and I was completely content. I began my morning brushing my teeth, reflecting on what had occurred the night before. I sat in my room, on my little spot clearing among a disastrous mess that I was trying to clean up, and after speaking on the phone with my mother, I decided to go to a corner of my room. I kneeled down to pray, and out loud I gave a long sincere prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father. It's amazing how long we can go doing things incorrectly, even though we already know what we should be doing and that it will help us of we practice obedience. The Law of Tithing is one of those great commandments I struggle with. I could perhaps say that my parents didn't really ingrain this law in my head well enough, but I never had to deal with this type of responsibility until I moved out of the home. So I must face reality, and know that the responsibility

Speed Dating

I'm not so sure I've ever been a real big fan of dating, or speed dating at that matter. But then again, my dating experiences have been so few, that I can't really judge speed dating too harshly. If anything, I would practice meeting more people, spend time getting to know my friends better, and just have a great time laughing at the most bizarre conversations. So for those of you who haven't ever been speed dating, it's the funniest thing ever. Luckily, it was a combined ward activity, so there were a lot of people from ward there that I knew, and I had the opportunity to meet some new people from the other ward. On this occasion, I only had 90 seconds to talk to a person before I had to move down the line of chairs to meet someone new. At first I was like, I'm sitting among my ward member friends, and I already know them, but then I thought it will be fun to ask them questions I've never really asked them before. Some people were really interesting